March 11, 2009, 8:13 am / Categories: Food / Hydration
The Gear Junkie Scoop: SIGG Retro Heritage Bottle
By STEPHEN REGENOLD
Its design comes via inspiration from a bottle made almost 80 years ago. But in hand, the new SIGG Retro Heritage bottle, available next month for $24.99, is strangely similar to aluminum water bottles made today.
Indeed, save for its ribbed exterior and an old-fashioned cap, the Retro Heritage acts like a common one-liter aluminum bottle. It uses the same “water-based, non-toxic liner” as other bottles in the SIGG line, and the cap screws on and off with plastic threads when you need a drink.
SIGG Retro Heritage Bottle
But the bottle looks cool. And there’s a story behind the Heritage model: The company designed it to resemble a vintage SIGG bottle from 1930. It was made to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the company, which was founded in 1908 when Ferdinand Sigg established a factory near Zurich and began selling his SIGG AG Aluminiumwarenfabrik line of saucepans, frying pans, and bottles.
page from a 1930 SIGG AG catalog
Today, you can get a SIGG bottle that glows in the dark. Some have skulls, or smiley faces, or Hello Kitty cartoons. The Retro Heritage Bottle, though pricey at $25, is an appreciable retreat to a simple Swiss aesthetic of function and utility. Ferdinand Sigg might be proud.
- Latest Articles
- 10 Lantern Giveaway: Goal Zero Products Up For Grabs (10 readers will Win!)
- Active Lifestyle Luxury Goods, All Made In USA (major trend in 2014?)
- Carabiner Has Built-In 'Hook'
- American Wins Boston Marathon… Wearing Skechers Shoes
- This Light Powered By Sack Of Rocks
- Boston Marathon Winner Wore Names Of Victims On Bib
- Running Paris: Salomon 'CityTrail' Video
- Can An Innovative Axe From Finland 'Revolutionize' Chopping Wood?
- Huff, Puff And Power Your Gizmos: Portable Wind Turbine Made For Outdoors
- Video Chronicles Intensely Competitive 'Lake Sonoma 50' Ultra Race
- Popular Articles
- Innovative Axe Design Revolutionizes Wood-Chopping Technology
- Not A Mummy: Zipper-less Design Offers New Sleeping Bag Experience
- World's 10 Most Dangerous Mountains
- Taco Cat Is A Bike-Only Taco Delivery Service
- American Wins Boston Marathon… Wearing Skechers shoes
- 1,000-Year-Old Native American Canoe
- The Stoke Factor: Explained
- No Reel Needed: Patagonia Fly Fishing Kit Is Simple, Light And Effective
- 12 Good Boots: Find Your Perfect Hiking Footwear For Spring 2014
- Goal Zero Camp Lantern Provides Light, Built-In Charging Station
- Friends of Gear Junkie
- Monopoint Media
- Adventure Blog
- Adventure Journal
- Outside Online
- Cold Splinters
- Sender Films
- Elevation Outdoors
- Rock and Ice Magazine
- Trail Runner Magazine
- REI Blog
- Weekly E-Newsletter
Sign up for our e-news for a weekly update on new gear, adventure travel, and prize giveaways.