A recap of top stories for the week of July 3 – 9, 2016.
1) First Look: Waterproof Altra ‘Lone Peak’ Hiking Boot
Coming this summer, the trail running brand will release a waterproof, mid-height hiking boot, for the first time.
2) Organizational Freak: Rugged Red Oxx Roll-Up Duffel
The ‘Big Bull’ bag is a pocket-adorned duffel built for situations as varied as TSA airport checkpoints, overlanding, and archeology field work.
3) Amtrak to Singletrack. Mountain Bike Trip By Train
Eschewing the chaos of air travel, our contributor traveled leisurely cross-country by train with a mountain bike in tow.
4) Slacklining Over A Waterfall… On A Volcano
What’s more incredible than slacklining 65 feet in the air above a waterfall? Tossing in some somersaults and flips, of course.
5) From Legend To Legacy: The Life Of Doug Tompkins
The awe-inspiring life and work of Doug Tompkins captured in a whirlwind 15-minute documentary tribute. Incredible.
6) Map & Compass: How To Navigate And Orienteer
Ditch the GPS and learn how to use a map and compass from the experts – orienteers.
7) River Raft Adventure Looks Like Bliss
Find friends, make raft, and let the good times roll.
8) Too Hot? Stanley Mug Insert Makes Coffee ‘Just Right’
Strange brew: New science from Stanley promises to make your coffee drinkably hot quicker and longer.
9) Camp Stove Types: Which Is Best For You?
We break it down in this review. Pick the best camp stove for the job with one of these models, 10 options in all.
10) Endurance Athletes: Should You Eat Junk Food?
Refined sugars and caffeine are not cornerstones of a healthy diet. Yet, they’re standard fare in endurance events. But how much (or little) should you eat and drink?
11) Defunct ‘Hood Rubber’ Boots Relaunch This Fall
Hood Rubber Company is a nostalgic twist on the modern hiker, but will the brand resonate after a 47-year absence?
12) When Hang Gliders Collapse: Two Scary Views
Two perspectives show the moment a hang glider’s performance goes from amazing to terrifying.
13) Idaho’s Backcountry Coffee Shop? A Mule Hauls It In
Just around that bend in the trail, lugged in by mule, is a trailside coffee shop and barista Matt Bishop.
14) Emerging Gear: Outdoor Products This Week
Solar trailers to top-secret Tour de France helmets… here is our weekly look at emerging products from the world of outdoor gear design.
15) Canine Companion: Hiking Big Miles With Dogs
Want to hike further with your pup? Our contributor has logged hundreds of miles with her Newfoundland-Lab mix and has a few tips.
16) Unstuffed: Store Your Sleeping Bag The Right Way
How to store, clean, and use your sleeping bag so it will be a longtime friend, not a flat, fluff-less mess.
17) World’s First Airplane, Dirtbike, Slackline ‘Super Stunt’
Sometimes you just gotta do a backflip on a motorcycle over a stunt plane that’s flying under a slackliner….
18) Review: Plus-Size ‘Bargain Carbon’ Marquette 27.5+
A gorgeous carbon-fiber frame, respectable specs, and a (very) fair price tag make the Framed Marquette mountain bike a solid choice for riders looking to dabble in the world of plus-size bikes.