A recap of top stories for the week of Sept. 10 – 16, 2017.
1) Snow Season: Why Long Range Forecasts ‘Stink’
If you ski, right around this time of year you start paying attention to the weather. We talked to OpenSnow founder Joel Gratz to learn more about the science of snow forecasting.
2) Finnish Budget Hatchet: 14 Inches Of Cutting Power
The 14-inch Fiskars Hatchet brings small upgrades to a popular model. At under $30, it’s a reliable tool for the outdoors. We put it to the test for this review.
3) Meet The Adventure-Ready 4×4 Winnebago Sprinter
Winnebago just revealed its newest RVs. Among them is the four-wheel-drive, off-road Sprinter called the Revel.
4) Monday Bargains: Three Steals To Start Your Week
Great outdoor gear at an amazing price. Check out the bargains from Granite Gear, Icebreaker, and Yaktrax.
5) The Pack Is Back: 10 Must-Have Fanny Packs
We’ve found the best adventure fanny packs. From fishing waist packs to hiking day packs to running fanny packs, we have it all.
6) I Need To Wash My Sleeping Bag (You Probably Do Too)
‘How long have you had this sleeping bag.’ My wife’s query was innocent enough. But I should have seen where it was going. Follow these tips to wash your down sleeping bag.
7) ‘Smokeless’ Fire Pit Cooks Food, Charges Phone
No smoke, floating flames, and a grate to cook your meal: Meet the BioLite FirePit.
8) Honnold, Chin…Maggie Rogers? TNF Releases Jacket With Musical Experience
The North Face wants you to dance. Through a unique website experience, the newly released Ventrix Jacket offers one of the more creative ways to launch a product.
9) If You Can Afford A Yacht, Check Out This Mercedes Overlander
If a Mercedes G 320 and a cruise ship had a baby, it would look like this.
10) Low-Profile Lid: ‘Hyban’ Bike Helmet Review
Looking to avoid the ‘dome’ look? Our quest for passable aesthetics in the category of the bike helmet continues with ABUS.
11) Dynamic Insulator: The North Face ‘Ventrix’ Hoodie Distilled
New this month, the laser-perforated Ventrix jacket has ‘dynamic venting’ insulation that regulates body temperature as you move.
12) Mark The Calendar: $6.50 Lift Tickets On Snowmass Anniversary
Aspen Snow Mass celebrates its 50th anniversary with retro parties and über cheap lift tickets. Given that a standard lift ticket costs more than $150, it just might be the deal of the (half) century.
13) When One Raft Isn’t Enough
When most people go rafting, they use one raft at a time. And then there’s Covey Baack.
14) The Great Bog Walk: Red Lake Peatland Crossing
Three men set out last month to traverse one of the largest swaths of terra (in)firma in the Lower 48s.
15) Mountain Biker Shot Dead, Half-Buried On CO Trail
‘No tip is too small.’ The El Paso County Sheriff’s Office in Colorado seeks leads into the shooting death of a beloved mountain biker found dead on the trail.
16) Screaming Deals: Gear Savings Of The Week
Our weekly column finds the best deals from across the web to save you money on outdoors gear. Check out the deals from Fjällraven, Sierra Designs, MSR and more.
17) All-Mesh Treepod Offers Airy New Way to Hang
Treepods made waves among hammock campers two years ago with its hanging sleep capsules. Now, it’s letting in a breeze.
18) Head-Mounted Light Cannon: Ledlenser MH10 Review
Ledlenser’s lightest 600-lumen headlamp is like strapping a car headlight on your head.
19) ‘Pata-Gucci’ For Less? Worn Wear Offers Used Gear, Trade-Ins
Buy it. Wear it. Return it for credit. Then buy a different used garment. Patagonia launched a Worn Wear website this week, and it’s a way to get high-priced, “experienced” apparel at a significant discount.
20) CO Ultra Offers $165,000 Purse: Biggest In History
The 2018 Run, Rabbit, Run in Steamboat Springs, Colo., introduces the ‘Rabbit Cup.’ Teams of three runners compete across 100 miles for the biggest grand prize in Ultrarunning yet.
21) Emerging Gear: Outdoor Products This Week
Our weekly peek at emerging products examines the sometimes cutting-edge, sometimes quirky world of gear design.
22) South Korea Reveals ‘Slashed’ 2018 Olympic Medals
The 2018 Winter Olympics kick off on Feb. 9 in Pyeongchang, South Korea. The games revealed the 2018 Olympic medals on Thursday, and they are stunning.
23) Don’t Post It: Movement Proposes 8th ‘Leave No Trace’ Principle
Stop sharing your adventures before our wild spaces are ‘loved to death.’
24) Inspiring! Meet The Woman Challenging Ultrarunning Stereotypes
This film from REI reinforces that it’s plain dumb to judge a person by their appearance. Valerio inspires with her actions, running 50K after 50K in her pursuit to conquer the brutal TransRockies Run.
25) Not Your Average S’More: Try This Fire-Roasted Treat Inside Or Out
Summer may be gone, but that doesn’t mean s’mores season is. Try this delicious twist on the camping favorite in your kitchen!
26) Awesome Adventure Vehicles Under $20,000
What’s the best truck or SUV under $20,000 to fuel your outdoor adventures? Our overlanding contributor has 10 beastly options.