A recap of top stories for the week of Aug. 27 – Sept. 2, 2017.
1) Monday Bargains (Labor Day Edition): Three Steals To Start Your Week
Great outdoor gear at an amazing price: That’s our goal each Monday. Check out the bargains below and save on gear for your next adventure.
2) Finish Photo: Mtb Athlete Mom (And Baby) Post-Race
This photograph taken post-race at the Telluride 100 captures a moment of catharsis, joy, and relief (for mother and baby alike).
3) Tired at Work? Try Indoor ‘Nap Tents’
It’s 3:00, the workday is dragging on, and then you feel it: The midday crash. Good news, pitch these office-friendly tents and take a nap at work.
4) Adam Ondra Sends ‘Project Hard,’ World’s Toughest Sport Climb
On September 3rd, 2017, Adam Ondra successfully climbed ‘Project Hard’, a proposed 5.15d, the hardest rated climb in the world.
5) VW Concept Van: Ultimate Camper Unveiled At German ‘Caravan’ Show
Volkswagen’s California XXL looks to do for VanLifers what glamping did for dirtbags.
6) Watch Out Below! Chris Sharma Deep Water Solos Massive Arch
Chris Sharma makes the first ascent of the popular French tourist destination, Pont d’Arc, with nothing but water to stop his fall.
7) 5,000 Miles To Now: Staying Present Amid Epic Adventure
When you ride a bike across America, it’s easy to daydream. But this is why adventure is best savored in the present, one ‘unrepeatable minute’ at a time.
8) First Look: Patagonia ‘New’ Micro Puff Hoody
Patagonia calls it the ‘lightest, most packable insulated jacket the company has ever created.’
9) Clip It: Great 2017 Quickdraws, Locking & Standard Carabiners
Among new-for-2017 is a best-in-class locking carabiner. We tested quickdraws and carabiners from Metolius, CAMP-USA, and Petzl that make upgrading your rack worthwhile.
10) Screaming Deals: Gear Savings Of The Week
Our weekly column finds the best deals from across the web to save you money on outdoors gear. Check out the deals from REI, Patagonia, Jet Boil and more.
11) American Giant Workwear Touts 100% Domestic Supply Chain
The brand American Giant today announced its first line of outerwear and it’s made in the USA ‘every step from seed to you.’
12) Review: Pour Water In, ‘Evaporative’ Hat Cools Your Head
As heat-regulating headwear goes, the Chill-Its Dry Evaporative Cooling Hat from Ergodyne is an original take.
13) All Terrain, All Condition Running: Salomon XA Enduro Review
Snow, talus, scree, slickrock, mud, gravel, trail — these shoes carried me over all of it.
14) Meet Duluth, America’s Next Best Adventure Town
Climbing, MTB, hiking, kayaking, and more. Duluth, Minn. has it all and it’s just miles from downtown.
15) 7 Bizarre Items That Powered These UTMB Ultra Runners
It takes a lot to get through the dark moments of ultramarathons. Check out some odd ‘gear’ that helped these UTMB runners take on the challenge.
16) Outdoor Hazards: Wildfires
If a wildfire were to ignite while you were hiking, would you know what to do? Learn what to do in a wildfire when you’re off the beaten track.
17) What’s A ‘SwimRun?’ Glad You Asked
Swim, run, swim, repeat. The burgeoning sport of swimrun combines endurance and adventure in an extreme and simple way.