A recap of top stories for the past week, June 12 – 18, 2016.
1) Crio Bru: Roasted Cocoa Is Coffee Alternative
Before it was over-sweetened into a kid’s drink, cocoa was the third member of the holy trinity of hot beverages growing up alongside coffee and tea. Now Cocoa is back, in a grown-up form, as Crio Bru.
2) 20 Gifts For The Outdoor Dad
Make dad the manliest (and happiest) man with these 20 Father’s Day gift ideas sure to bring out the Grizzly Adams in your old man.
3) Watch: The World Beneath The Grand Canyon Rims
Look into the spectacular, powerful, and fragile world under the rims of the Grand Canyon through the eyes of those who know it intimately.
4) Good Goat! The Pack Animal You Likely Overlooked
For hauling heavy loads in the backcountry, pack goats provide an easy and affordable alternative to larger animals, and can carry more than you’d expect.
5) Arc’teryx Announces First Trail Running Shoe
Arc’teryx is jumping into the trail-running market with the Norvan VT, promising a shoe that transitions on the fly from runner to climber with an “ingenious lacing system.”
6) Campgrounds Vs. Festivals: Who Roughs It Best?
Festival hippies and outdoor enthusiasts – it’s time to settle it once and for all: who’s a better camper?
7) BioLite CampStove: Three Month Boundary Waters Test
The BioLite CampStove burns wood and other organic material for cooking and device charging in the outdoors. We put it to a tough three-month test in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area for this review.
8) Cycling Studied As ADHD ‘Prescription’
Could cycling be a non-chemical solution to ADHD? A new Stanford University study supported by Specialized aims to find out.
9) ‘Warrior Hike’ Aids Vets Through Outdoor Therapy
An inaugural five-day hike in Indiana hopes to raise awareness and provide alternative ‘outdoor therapy’ services to veterans and first responders coping with post-traumatic stress disorder.
10) Light, Warm, Fairly Priced: Klymit Sleeping Pad Hits Marks
It’s not the lightest sleeping pad on the market, nor the warmest, but the Klymit Insulated Static V Lite sleeping pad hits a lot of important marks.
11) SMDH: Bonehead Moves Piling Up In Yellowstone
The list of facepalm decision-making in Yellowstone grew this week as another visitor wandered into ecologically sensitive areas to “fill a water bottle” from Mammoth Hot Spring. Here’s a review of the boneheaded moves so far in 2016.
12) No Bull: How To Choose Trail Running Shoes
Check out our quick guide on how to buy and choose trail running shoes that are right for you. Lots of info, few words, and no marketing jargon.
13) Trail Angels: Giving Back At Trans-Am Bike Race
10 states and 4,440 miles. The 3rd Annual Trans-American Bike Race is happening now. We sent our mobile office to mile 500 to serve as Trail Angels for the riders.
14) Watch: Find Your ‘Wild Place’
Take five minutes to watch this, then get off the computer and go sleep in the woods. It’s important.
15) Survival Baking: Build Your Own Earth Oven
Mud + green branches = primitive oven. Check out this surprisingly simple way to make an earth oven in the bush.
16) Which Tool Should I Choose To Cut Wood?
Building a campfire? We review the pros and cons of the best wood cutting tools out there: hatchets, axes, handsaws, knives, and more.
17) New Website Helps Launch Outdoors Businesses
Radify offers business and land development consulting for entrepreneurs launching projects in the outdoors market.
18) ‘Pacific Crest Trail’ Crew Update: 720 miles, 530lbs of Trash
With nearly a pound of trash per mile, the ‘Packing It Out’ crew finds that the Pacific Crest Trail definitely needed a good cleaning.
19) SPLAT! A Eulogy To The Bugs On My Windshield
Driving a few giant loops around America has led to both great adventures and a staggering loss of life.
20) My Old Man: Pro Surfer Shane Dorian
Surfing reef breaks, skating half pipes, and bow hunting wild hog are typical father-son outings for pro surfer Shane Dorian and his son.
21) Emerging Gear: Outdoor Products This Week
From XL Hammocks to carbon fiber skateboards, here is this week’s peek at emerging products from the cutting-edge (and sometimes quirky) world of outdoor gear design.
22) Forgot Dad? 5 Great, Last Second Father’s Day Gifts
Forgot Father’s Day? Don’t fret. These are the five best last second gifts for an outdoorsy dad.
23) BeatMonday Redefines ‘Weekend Warrior’
Rainier in a weekend? From Boston? For the founders of a new online community, the challenge of audacious adventure is part of the fun.
24) Forbidden Photo? Quest For The Perfect BASE Jump Image
What does the perfect BASE jumping photo look like? Adventure photographer Krystle Wright gives a peek at the struggle to find the immaculate image.