A recap of top stories for the past week, Feb 14 – 21, 2016.
1) ‘Cheese Grater’ Snowshoe For Mountain Terrain
The cheese grater design of the Snowfoot doubles the surface area of these small snowshoes, making for a small footprint with lots of float and good maneuverability.
2) ‘Surf Skier’ Drops Into Jaws
The 40-foot wave is a test piece for the world’s best surfers. Watch as Chuck Patterson gets towed in on a pair of waterskis.
3) Sustainable Shipping: A New Environmental Frontier?
Bergans gets down-to-earth with the supply chain and switches from airplanes to ships in Expedition 2020. Could this signal a new direction in the battle of brand differentiation?
4) Video Shows The Danger Of Tree Wells
A father captures his son’s ‘near death experience’ in a tree well. Watch and be reminded to ride in pairs and stay safe out there.
5) No Pavement, 1,000 Miles: Moto Adventure Across Baja
Baja sparked a generation of adventurers to blaze new trails, and for this group of riders, Baja’s remote dunes offer an isolated paradise.
6) Rupp Crushes First Marathon, Winning Olympic Trials
Galen Rupp, an Olympic veteran, ran his first competitive marathon in 2 hours, 11, minutes, 12 seconds to earn a top billing at the Rio Olympic Games.
7) More Boulders Fall, I-70 Closed In Colorado
For the second straight day, large boulders have fallen on the infamous Colorado interstate, this time closing it for an undetermined time.
8) Runner Rickey Gates Explores Apostle Island Ice Caves
A pro trail runner and a pro photographer go out on the ice to play. And just because they’re pro doesn’t mean they’re serious.
9) A Dog Bowl That Fits In Your Pocket
This nylon dog bowl weighs just an ounce and fits in the pocket of your pants.
10) Tom Brady Goes Skiing, Fans Go Mental
New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady took a little ski trip to the Yellowstone Club this week, and some of his fans are not pleased.
11) iPhone Friendly, ‘Stackable’ Battery Pack Stands Out
With attached Mirco-USB and Apple Lightening Cables, the ability to charge three devices at once, and scalability through ‘stacking,’ the EnerPlex Jumper Stack series is our favorite battery pack to date.
12) Outdoors Elitism? Club Tackles Exclusion Head On
Ever felt unwanted at an outdoors shop or crag? The club UpaDowna encourages outdoors activities by all, introducing thousands of people to the outdoors via 100+ free outings each year.
13) Forge To Fine Art: Blacksmith Aaron Cergol
Handmade by a 25-year-old master craftsman, these axes, knives, and hammers are remarkably functional artwork.
14) Quick-Open Pocket Knife, Affordable Price
A collaboration between Emerson and Kershaw, the CQC-6K has the unique ‘Wave’ system, and the knife opens as you pull it from your pocket.
15) ‘Bike Washing Machine’ For Multitasking Athletes
Do your laundry while working up a sweat with the Bike Washing Machine.
16) Proposed Flag Bill For Bikes Crazy Enough To Work?
A forward-thinking Missouri state representative proposed a bill to require bicyclists to sport fluorescent orange flags suspended 15 feet above the roadway.