A recap of top stories for the week of Dec. 4 – 10, 2016.
1) Meet The Unknown Woman Taking The Ultra World By Storm
Could this 31-year-old school teacher be the next great ultrarunner?
2) First Look: Black Diamond ‘Iota’ Headlamp Review
The era of efficient micro-lighting has arrived.
3) Treehouse Of The Future? Crazy Concept Will Be A Reality
An architect in Kazakhstan sees a wildly-designed ‘treehouse’ as the future of sustainable housing.
4) YETI Store: Flagship Retail Shop To Open 2017
The brick-and-mortar shop will be a “destination for the community to connect with the YETI brand.”
5) Five ‘Crazy Russian’ Fire-Starting Hacks
We put together five no-match, fire-starting hacks from our favorite mad scientist.
6) Review: Cannondale Scalpel-Si, Fastest Cross-Country Race Bike
Cannondale updates its flagship race bike and creates an exotic steed that’s one of the fastest cross-country mountain bikes in the world.
7) Top Of Its Class: Petzl SITTA Review
A climbing harness with zero foam padding, super strong Spectra fibers, and near weightlessness. Meet the Petzl SITTA.
8) Editors’ Picks: 2016 GearJunkie Gift Guide
Want to know what to get the adventurer on your list? These are some of our editors’ top picks.
9) Review: ‘Ultra Vesta’ Running Pack Fit For Mountain Trails
Ultimate Direction made an ultralight upgrade to this women’s running vest. We had our editor take one for a run through the Rockies.
10) Get Off-Grid: 7 Tips For ‘Boondocking’ Your Camper
To truly appreciate your RV or camping trailer, you’ve got to take it off the grid once in a while. Here’s how to properly ‘boondock.’
11) Emerging Gear: Outdoor Products This Week
From bike-packing coffee kits to flying selfie sticks, our weekly peek at emerging products examines the sometimes cutting-edge, sometimes quirky world of gear design.
12) If The Outdoors Is Your Church, It’s Time To Tithe
The latest Trump administration cabinet appointments reveal an environmentally antagonistic future. If you love nature, it’s now time to support her, financially.
13) How Not To Drive In The Snow
I’m looking at you, Texas.
14) Outback Bike-Packing, As It Should Be
Don’t let the cold get you down, it’s never too rough to camp by bike.
15) Clueless In European Cities, I Relied On Wilderness Skills
For our young contributor, wilderness skills were a key to adapting to city life.
16) Guru Gifts: Picks From Cabela’s Experts
Cabela’s experts tell us what they’ll be giving the outdoor lovers on their lists this holiday.
17) Beef Stew, Camp Meals Vs. Dog Food: Surprising Results
We taste tested four popular camping meals against dog food and generic beef stew. Yes, dog food (and it fared better than you might believe).