From now until Oct. 15, you can bid on this rare, ‘lo-res,’ Countach-looking EV. It might not be street legal, but it is charitable. Half of the auction proceeds will benefit hydrogen fuel cell research.
The Lo-Res concept car isn’t some fresh-off-the-line whip. It’s been around the block a time or two. This one-of-four prototype EV was developed in 2016 by footwear company United Nude.
Back then, the Lo-Res Car was more a tool with which to court the press than anything else. (One of its identical prototypes debuted in Rich The Kid’s “New Freezer ft. Kendrick Lamar” music video in 2017.)
But this week, it goes toward a bigger and better purpose.
Love cool cars? Looking to support a good cause? Check out the auction of the #LoRes Vehicle! All proceeds will be split to support fellow nonprofit @Petersen_Museum and our program work. Learn more here: https://t.co/yamsQRiHIw pic.twitter.com/q5Qyb7I4SZ
— Energy Independence Now (@DriveH2) October 11, 2021
Lo-Res Auction Information
The Lambo-inspired Lo-Res is now up for auction. And 50% of the proceeds will benefit Energy Independence Now, an environmental nonprofit that combats climate change and the fossil fuel industry by promoting hydrogen fuel cell technology. The remaining proceeds will go to maintaining the Peterson Automotive Museum’s Disruptors exhibition in Los Angeles.
The online auction house, Bring a Trailer, will accept bids from now until Oct. 15, 2021, at 2:30 p.m. PT. Just about anyone with the right amount of coin can bid on this weird, futuristic machine. At the time of writing, the bidding sat at just $45,000, with only nine bidders in the running.
To place a bid, head to Bring a Trailer.
Lo-Res Concept Car Specs
- Year: 2017
- Model: Prototype #03 (1 of 4 ever made)
- Chassis: Steel tube frame with metal wheel enclosures
- Motor: KDS 5kW electric
- Transmission: Single-speed
- Brakes: Front-wheel disc
- Body: 12 tinted polycarbonate panels
- Opening mechanism: Electrically actuated, remote-controllable clamshell
- Seating: Tandem (front and back) two-person
- Display panel: Metric speedometer, mileage
- Interior control panel: Ignition switch, battery charge level indicator, functional toggle switches
- Steering wheel: Chrome hexagonal
- Lighting: (Exterior) front and rear light bars, illuminated United Nude logos; (interior) full overhead and side accent bars