A recap of top stories for week of June 26 – July 2, 2016.
1) $179 Walmart MTB Downhill Carnage
Will a $179 Walmart Huffy survive a double black diamond downhill mountain bike run? Watch and find out.
2) Five Big Breaths: All It Takes To Blow Up This Quick-Inflating Camp Pad
See for yourself how quickly Therm-a-Rest’s new line of SpeedValve air mattresses inflate.
3) Down Vs. Synthetic: Understanding Sleeping Bag Insulation
To buy a sleeping bag you must choose between down and synthetic insulation. Which is the best sleeping bag insulation? Each has merits, which we explore to help you make an informed decision.
4) Insane Vertical Footrace Is ‘Super Bowl Of Alaska’
3,022 feet straight up the mountain: The Mount Marathon 5K is a gorgeous and epic footrace. Watch this insane race documentary now.
5) REI ‘Centennial Gear’ Gives Back To Parks
Get the gear you need and give back to you national parks with limited-edition ‘Centennial’ gear.
6) Photo Exhibition Highlights Chaos, Beauty Of Changing World
See 10 of the best (and most gripping) images from this year’s Environmental Photographer of the Year Awards.
7) Tiny House Is Mobile Whale Research Base
A new take on marine research makes tracking whales and dolphins easier and more eco-friendly – the tiny home research base.
8) Free Pup Adoption Program In Its Final Year
Free pooch? Only if you love the outdoors! This unique adoption program is in its final year.
9) DIY Overland Super Truck? Check Out This How-To Guide
A fully custom, totally off-road motorhome for under $60,000? It can be done, and might jus be your perfect project. A new book tells you how, and here its author tells you why.
10) Stitched In America: Reviewing North St. Bags’ Pack Line
With no-frills design, the line of backpacks, duffels, and bike panniers from North St. Bags appear to be from another era.
11) Emerging Gear: Outdoor Products This Week
Ultralight merino to nut-butter trail bars: A peek at emerging products, culled from crowd-source sites like Kickstarter, PR campaigns, and industry scoops on the sometimes cutting-edge, sometimes quirky world of gear design.
12) Review: OR ‘ActiveIce’ Hat Fends Off Sunburn
Spending some time in the sun? The ActiveIce Cap from Outdoor Research as a neck flap will leave your head ensconced in a shadow.
13) Hucking Virtual Cliffs: Wild Freeride With Cam Zink
Some amazing views and great storytelling are captured in this unique VR mountain biking experience featuring a talented pro rider.
14) Riding The ‘Loop Of Doom’
The name is pretty self-explanatory. But you’ll want to watch this anyway for the moment of airborne glory before the crash.
15) Essential Survival: How To Avoid Bears
Bear encounters are no joke, you’re better off avoiding the animals altogether – here’s how.
16) Rock Climbing Unraveled: The Gear You Need To Get Started
Rock climbing is booming right now. You want in on the action and fun? This is the beginner rock climbing gear you need to get started.
17) ‘Bomber’ Hitch Bike Rack? Check Out 1UP
Made in America, the 1UP USA Quik Rack Bike Rack is a quality hitch mount that will protect your pricey steed to and from the trailhead.
18) Extreme Science: Using Adventure For Good
When scientific discovery and unsolved mysteries lie hidden in the most hard-to-reach areas of the world, who you gonna call? Adventure Science!
19) Summer Skiing: The Best (Worst) Idea Ever
On the 4th of July, there are better (and dumber) things to do than grill hot dogs and light off firecrackers. Shove your feet into plastic, hike a painfully extreme distance, and ski questionable snow. It’s just the best.
20) Oh Canada! British Columbia’s Splendor In 4K Video
Requiring a year and more than 47,000 photos to shoot, this remarkable video of the British Columbia backcountry will have you saying ‘Oh Canada!’
21) Lindsey Vonn Needs A Date (With Me!!!)
The Blonde Bomber recently told CNN that she wants to start a family and is on the prowl for a man. But the Minnesota Maiden can’t seem to find a suitable suitor. Look no further!