A recap of top stories for the week of August 21 – 27, 2016.
1) Review: Arc’teryx Trail-Running Shoe, A Real Scrambler
A new lacing system distinguishes the Arc’teryx Norvan VT trail running shoes. We put it to the test in high mountains for this review.
2) 100x Stronger Than Duct Tape? Wild Ad Is Convincing
Is this stuff for real? An ad shows this ‘super tape’ holding a car together as it rolls down a cliff.
3) Can A Paper ‘Blade’ Cut Through Wood?
Now THAT’S a paper cut! Watch what this paper ‘blade’ can do.
4) EnerPlex Wins GearJunkie Readers’ Choice Award
Voters chose the 5-ounce solar panel as the best product of Outdoor Retailer Summer Market 2016
5) 10 Outdoor Gear Trends To Watch In 2017
From intelligent drones to ‘levitating’ tents, the future of the outdoors industry is nothing if not unique.
6) Greatest Climb On Earth? El Capitan Book Dives Deep
What is the greatest climb of them all? The new book, “On the Nose: A Lifelong Obsession with Yosemite’s Most Iconic Climb” explores the history of the route and Hans Florine, the climber who knows it best.
7) The Original Dirtbag: Unraveling Fred Beckey
The enigmatic, stubborn, wildly romantic pioneer of climbing let cameras in to tell his story. Check out the sneak peek of the ‘Original American Dirtbag’ extended trailer.
8) USA-Made Gear: 20 Domestic Stand-Outs
Some of the outdoor world’s best gear is made in America. Here we highlight 20 domestic stand-outs from around the country.
9) New Monument Protects 87,500 Acres Near A.T. Terminus
President Obama just designated America’s newest National Monument, protecting nearly 90,000 acres of Maine wilderness.
10) ‘Every Freshwater Fish In America’ Charted In Poster
Fit for an angler’s gear cave, the Freshwater Fish of America poster details more than 900 fishy friends.
11) How To Land A Ski Resort Job
Is working at a ski resort your dream job? We got some inside advice from Copper Mountain’s HR department to help you land it.
12) Cook With The Sun: Solavore Solar Oven Review
Go all the way off the grid with a solar oven? We cooked a hearty meal with the heat of the sun to put the Solavore to the test.
13) First Look: Expanding ‘Flex Capacitor’ Backpack From Sierra Designs
Designed with renowned adventurer Andrew Skurka, the Sierra Designs Flex Capacitor expands outward for a pack that ranges from 40 to 60 liters.
14) Winter Park Ski Train Returns For 2016-2017
Traffic keeping you off Colorado’s slopes? Amtrak has you covered.
15) Highpointing: Climb To The Top Of 50 States
Highpointing, as this state-by-state, summit-seeking pursuit is called, has garnered a following of more than 10,000 people.
16) Monumental: Skiing Our National Parks
National Parks offer some exceptional backcountry skiing. A new film by REI and Powder Magazine follows skiers as they explore some of America’s wilderness icons. Watch the trailer now!
17) Emerging Gear: Outdoor Products This Week
Rocking bikes to fashion-forward boots, this is our weekly look at emerging products from the world of outdoor gear design.
18) IFMGA Mountain Guide: Peak Of A Profession
If there’s a singular job that epitomizes working in the outdoors, it’s the mountain guide. We talked with IFMGA-certified guide Kris Erickson for some insight into an undeniably epic career.
19) Obama Designates Massive Pacific Ocean Preserve
A vast area of the Pacific Ocean will be added to the Papahānaumokuākea Marine National Monument around Hawaii, making it the world’s largest protected marine environment.