A recap of top stories, week of November 14 – 21, 2015.
1) Hikers Pack 1,000 Pounds Of Trash Off Appalachian Trail
A hiker saw trash gathering on trails, but instead of complaining, he and his friends rolled up their sleeves and got to work.
2) Term ‘Lumbersexual’ Is Oxford ‘Word Of The Year’ Finalist
From obscurity to the Oxford English Dictionary, the love-or-hate term lumbersexual has had a wild ride since a GearJunkie article introduced it one year ago.
3) Park City Opens As Largest Ski Area In U.S.A.
After being combined with Canyons Resort, Park City is now considered one mountain with a whopping 7,300 acres.
4) ‘Modular’ Sleeping: Kammok Thylacine Sleeping Bag
Three sleeping bags in one. That’s the premise of the Thylacine sleeping bag from Kammok.
5) Manpris Are In! A Gift Guide For The Endurance-Obsessed
Endurance athletes don’t quit in the winter, and they’ll appreciate these gifts that make cold-weather miles more comfortable. This gear for both men and women is sure to please the endurance athlete in your life.
6) Santa’s Helper: Gear Expert’s Top Holiday Gift Ideas
As a gear buyer, Leon Lutz knows the ins and outs of the best new gear. These are the gifts he’d give this holiday season.
7) Log + Drill = Rocket Stove!
This looks like a fun DIY experiment for your next camping trip. All you need is a drill, 1″ bit and length of firewood.
8) Man To Attempt Atlantic Crossing On SUP Board
In January, Frenchman Jarossay Nicolas will attempt to cross 2,500 miles of open ocean on a custom stand-up paddle board.
9) Natural Grains: Watch Canoe Harvest Of Minnesota Wild Rice
Get in the canoe to nab an inside look at the harvesting of Minnesota Wild Rice.
10) Ueli Steck Sets New Eiger Speed Record
Steck climbed the 1,800 meter Heckmair Route in 2 hours, 22 minutes.
11) Explore Bali In Two-Minute Video
Sit back, and let two minutes of footage whisk you to the island of Bali. Then get ready to plan your own trip.
12) Are Expensive Running Shoes Better? Study Says No
A study conducted by an online retailer and shoe rating site claims the more you spend, the less you get. But what does that really mean?
13) First Look: Vibram Wrap-On ‘Winter Furoshiki’ Footwear
No laces, no tongue, a shearling wool interior, and an innovative wrap-on design… the Winter Furoshiki footwear from Vibram stands out as perhaps the most innovative “boots” of the year.
14) Apps & Gadgets For 2015-16 Snow Season
From realtime traffic tracking apps to ‘smart’ bindings, these tech apps and gadgets are perfect for a day on the slopes.
15) Announced: First 3D-Printed Shoe You Can Buy
Limited edition shoes with 3D printed midsoles will be available at New Balance retail outlets beginning in April.
16) ‘Sammy C’ Trailer: Going Big In The Backcountry
If you’re into a mix of park and mountain skiing, this film with lots of big hits and creative use of natural terrain should resonate.
17) Watch: 500-Meter Slackline Walk Between Desert Towers
High above the Utah desert, a team of athletes likely set a new world record this past Sunday as Théo Sanson walked nearly 500 meters on a slackline.
18) Review: ‘Lumen Beast’ Bike Light Has Integrated Display
The Fenix BC30R has a new killer feature good enough to push it to the top of the pile in this fall’s light comparison tests.
19) Moosejaw Experts Pick Top Holiday Gear For 2015
Moosejaw is a top source for outdoors gear. We polled the company’s gear experts to distill a list of ready-to-gift gear items this holiday season.
20) Waterproof, Inflatable Adventure Backpack
Dubbed an ‘ultimate water adventure pack,’ the Klymit Splash 25 is the lovechild of a waterproof dry bag and a daypack.
21) BWCA Dispatch: 50-Night Sleeping Bag Test
After 50 days of sleeping in the Sea To Summit Talus Ts II our reviewer has found her favorite sleeping bag.
22) Talk Trash Like An Ultrarunner
Dude, get over here and fill up my bladder while I tell you about my FKT. Just don’t get any electrolytes on my costume.
23) Prototype TNF Parka Made Of ‘Synthetic Spiderweb’ Thread
It will be the first jacket made from the protein-based thread QMONOS, a synthetic variation of the silk made by spiders.
24) A Technical Comforter For Your Outdoors Bed
Rumpl’s new Super Fleece is designed to take your cuddling into the great outdoors.
25) Titanium Bike Lock: Ultra-Light ‘TiGr Mini’ Review
The new titanium TiGr Mini bike lock weighs less than a pound and will deter thieves. We put it to the test against a hacksaw blade.