A recap of top stories for the past week, Jan. 30 – Feb. 6, 2016.
1) Black Diamond Issues Recall Of Carabiners, Runners
If you own carabiners or runners manufactured by Black Diamond in the last year or two, this recall likely affects you.
2) New Zipper From YKK ‘Forms Around Face’
The Fix A Zip zipper forms around the face for a comfortable closure. It comes to market first in the Shaper Jacket from Eider.
3) Review: ‘Chroma’ Drone Gives Stunning Aerial Footage
The world has changed for pro and amateur videographers—with the whirring blades of a drone signifying a new era. Here we review the Chroma, a solid mid-level drone option.
4) Eagles Trained To Take Down Drones
‘Guards From Above’ is a new service using birds of prey that, in the company’s words, ‘intercept hostile drones.’
7) Skier & Ivy Leaguer: ’12-Year-Plan’ At Dartmouth
He drives a junker ’91 Toyota purchased with a six-pack of beer, but this 22-year-old is simultaneously aiming for the Olympics and an Ivy League degree.
8) Got iPhone? Skier’s New Video Selfie Method
The ‘Centriphone’ technique attaches an iPhone to strings, which the user then spins around himself while the camera records.
9) ‘Manic Training’ A Workout Fit For Everest
High Intensity Interval Training is a booming trend in the fitness world. Here’s how Colorado-founded Manic Training helps Olympic competitors, mountaineers, traumatically injured athletes, and even stay-at-home parents, reach their summits.
10)‘Survival Jacket’ For Those Who Expect The Worst
If your next adventure requires this jacket, you may want to reconsider your plans. But when it all hits the fan, the Condition Black survival jacket has you covered.
11) G3 Boundary 100: A Do-All Backcountry Ski
The Boundary 100 ski from G3 is a versatile touring ski light enough to climb fast. But does it have enough beef to really charge downhill?
12) GearJunkie, QBP Build ‘Ultimate Winter Bike’
GearJunkie partnered with QBP to custom-build a perfect winter bike for urban riders.
13) Fat And Furious! Snow Bikes Go Steep And Deep
Pushing the limits of fat biking, the team from Rocky Mountain Bicycles forged into the backcountry to rip some epic pow lines in their new film 2 Fat 2 Furious.
14) Ouray Ice: Power And Skill At 2016 Ice Climbing Fest
Thirty-three climbers from around the world competed in the 2016 Ouray Ice Festival. Only one made it to the top. This video highlights the power, skill, and sketchy nature of mixed ice climbing.
15) Moto-SUP: Jet Propulsion Motor In Your Board
The internal electric motor of this SUP can push at up to 3.5 knots and it assists inflation for setup.
16) Winter Cycling Congress
An international ‘congress’ about biking in the winter? Yep, it started this week in Minneapolis, and GearJunkie is live at the event.
17) ‘Snowball Machine Gun’ Launches Playful Arms Race
This DIY, gas-powered thrower shoots 13 snowballs in half a second!
18) The Haute Route: A Classic Swiss Ski Traverse
Follow along as Mike Douglas and Alexis Godbout tour through Switzerland’s Urner Alps to explore a beautiful mountain range on skis.
19) ‘Arrowhead 135’ Ultra In Photos
In the 12th running of what has been cited as one of ‘The World’s Toughest Endurance Challenges’, moderate temps created a different set of problems for Arrowhead Ultra racers than in past years—wet clothes and soft snow made for a challenging race.
20) GoPro, Periscope Team Up For Live Broadcasting
Live video on social media while you ski? The GoPro Hero 4 can now broadcast directly to Periscope for iPhone via Wi-Fi.
21) ‘Road To OR’ Film Captures 1,200-Mile Trip
Fat biking to climbing a major mountain peak… the ‘Road To OR’ video highlights a 1,200-mile road trip from GearJunkie headquarters to the Outdoor Retailer show in Salt Lake City last month.
22) Retro Fashion: Rent 1980s’ ‘Onesie’ For Your Ski Trip
GetOutfitted is a gear-rental company that ships direct to your home. Starting today, the company has retro options.