Already have the ski and snowboard rentals taken care of, but need some outerwear? Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered.
Skiing and snowboarding are great at fighting off the winter blues. But if you are new to the sports, buying everything you need can be daunting and sometimes expensive.
Renting is a great way to try gear out before committing, which is why many shops offer equipment rentals. But what about apparel?
To make it easier for you this winter, we’ve put together a list of five places where you can rent all the cold-weather layers you need.
Top 5 Places to Rent Ski & Snowboard Apparel
If you are lacking all the necessary outerwear to hit the slopes, then Kit Lender is a great option. All you have to do is browse its snow and ski selection, enter your dates and address, select the kit and sizes you want, and the team will ship your items free of charge straight to you (or your vacation rental, or any FedEx ship center).
Kits start at $47 per day for adults and $22 per day for youth. And if you need to rent winter accessories like base layers, socks, or balaclavas, they have those too.
- Rental minimum: 3-day minimum
- Kits include: Jackets, pants, gloves, mittens, goggles, and boots
- Available for: Men, women, youth, and toddlers; size range (adults): XS-2XL
- Delivery method: Free U.S. delivery
- Return method: Send back unwashed garments via preaddressed label
If you only need to rent apparel for a 2-day weekend on the slopes, then Slope Threads is another one to consider. Similar to Kit Lender, you select your dates, kit, and sizes, and the company will ship your rental items directly to you. You also have the option to visit its Colorado store.
You can rent a complete outfit starting at $45 per day for adults and $35 per day for youth — this is our favorite rental option for the entire family.
- Rental minimum: 2-day minimum
- Kits include: Jacket, pants, gloves, and goggles
- Available for: Men, women, youth, and toddlers; size range (adults): XXS-3XL
- Delivery method: Ships directly to you or pick up at its Golden, Colo., location
- Return method: Send back unwashed garments using a prepaid label or drop off in-store
Mountain Threads provides in-store rentals at its Golden, Colo., location and can even hand deliver to select lodgings nearby. And even if you’re not planning on skiing in Colorado, the company will deliver anywhere in the U.S. — but shipping rates do apply, so make sure to plan ahead.
You can rent single garments that start at $5 per day or a kit that covers the basics for $34 per day. It’s super budget-friendly, and offers a great variety of brands.
Mountain Threads is a great option if you are near its location and need last-minute rentals. It’s also great for other items beyond apparel.
- Rental minimum: N/A
- Available for: Men, women, and youth; size range (adults): XS-5XL
- Delivery method: Hand-delivered at select locations ($50-80 fee), pick up in-store, or ship via mail
- Return method: Leave rented gear at the front desk of your accommodation, drop off in store, or ship back using a prepaid shipping label.
- Rental locations:
- Copper Mountain
- Beaver Creek
- Winter Park
If you only need to rent one or two items and hate blending in, then Rent the Runaway offers a selection that stands out. Like the rest of its clothing rentals, its selection is mainly A-list fashion brands. Here you’ll find individual pieces to rent in bold patterns and colors, and probably the latest trends.
Rent the Runway offers membership plans for continual rentals that give members a lower rental cost. Without it, you can expect to rent from $200+. You also have the option to buy items you like.
- Rental minimum: 4-day or 8-day rentals
- Available for: Women’s XS-XXL
- Delivery method: Free 2-day shipping with membership
- Return method: Send unwashed garments back in prepaid shipping label
If you need to rent high-end ski apparel and don’t mind renting in-person, then consider GORE-TEX’s Outerwear on Demand program. At the moment, you have options between a men’s and women’s snow jacket and snow pants in three colors — feel free to mix them up.
The cost to rent starts at $50-60 per item. Rental options are based on in-store availability.
- Rental minimum: N/A
- Available for: Varies on location
- Rental locations:
- Jackson Hole Sports in Teton Village, WY
- Hoback Sports in Jackson, WY
- Wasatch Powder House in Salt Lake City, UT
- Motherlode Powder House in Alta, UT
- Deep Powder House in Alta, UT
- Rustler Powder House in Alta, UT
- Snowpine Powder House in Alta, UT
- Christy Sports in Dillon, Avon, Breckenridge & Denver West, CO
- Limelight Aspen and Limelight Snowmass in Aspen, CO
- evo in Denver, CO
- evo in Salt Lake City, UT
- evo in Snoqualmie Pass, WA
- evo Sportstop in Whistler, BC
The GORE-TEX Rental kit options are great for those who don’t want to worry about packing outerwear, and don’t mind renting in person at their destination.