Will the Wu-Tang Clan ever quit being relevant? Not if State Bicycle Co. has any say.
State recently collaborated with the legendary hip-hop group on an exclusive collection of bikes, gear, and apparel. The Wu-Tang x State Bicycle collection drops today, and it’s extensive. Three bike builds, enough accessories to fill a pro closet, jerseys, bibs, and — our favorite — a pair of caps.
There’s no way we can get into the details for every product that’s received the Wu-Tang treatment, but here are the highlights.
Wu-Tang Clan x State Bicycle Co. Bikes
As you might expect, the honeypot here is the limited-release bikes. Three of State’s most acclaimed builds — the Klunker, the Core Line, and the 6061 Black Label — feature a black-and-yellow Wu-inspired trim.
‘Killer Bees’ Klunker
State describes the Klunker ($500) as a retro-inspired mashup that uses a beach cruiser frame, mountain bike tires, and BMX bars. And somehow, that combination encapsulates the spirit of 1990s hip hop.
“W”-capped grips and an all-black leatherette saddle set off the Klunker’s loud yellow steel frame and high-angle BMX handlebars.
State adds a bottle opener on the seat tube for kicks — you know, where you’d typically find a bottle cage.
- Frame: Durable steel frame & fork w/ 5-year warranty
- Handlebars: BMX style with 7″ rise, 30″ extra-wide with custom Wu-Tang Clan Grips
- Wheels: Extra durable 36h BMX style rim w/ with CST Patrol 2.4″ tires
- Saddle: Retro-style leatherette comfort saddle
- Gear: 42t crank with 22t coaster-style cog for cruising
- Brakes: Coaster brake — just pedal backward
- Pedals: Flat MTB-style platform pedals
- Extras: Bottle opener included
- Sized for riders 5’5″ to 6’3″
’Shaolin’ Core Line
The Core Line (complete: $450, frameset: $200) is perhaps State’s most popular and iconic build. Folks (myself included) reach for the Core Line because it looks good, adapts well, and is one of the most affordable single-speed/fixie options on the market.
The Wu-Tang influence in the limited-edition Core Line is low-key. State kept with an all-black frame, seat, and grips, then punctuated the design with bright-yellow hubs and a few Wu-Tang Clan details to match.
Core Line Specs
- Frame: Durable steel frame ft. seat stay rack mounts and cable stops
- Dropouts: Horizontal dropouts ft. integrated chain-tensioners
- Wheelset: Deep V wheelset ft. 40mm high-flange hubs w/ sealed bearings
- Flip-Flop hub: Includes 16T freewheel and fixed-gear cog — easily ride fixed gear or single speed
- Gear ratio: 44×16
- Handlebars: Choose riser bars w/ Wu-Tang grips (standard), or bullhorn or drop bars w/ bar tape
- Brakes: Front & rear caliper hand brakes
- Pedals: Platform pedals
- Saddle: Synthetic leather saddle w/ steel rails
- 4 frame sizes to fit any rider height from 5’0″ to 6’2″
‘C.R.E.A.M.’ 6061 Black Label
State’s 6061 Black Label build (complete: $750, frameset: $400) is the premium option here — ultralight and made for agility. As with all of its 6061 Black Label bikes, this edition uses a double-butted aluminum frame with a tapered head tube and sits on an Essor USA full-carbon fork.
A light, stiff crankset with a 144 BCD, midweight wheels, and sealed hubs make the 6061 a substantially versatile and capable ride.
The Wu-Tang’d-out 6061 takes a motif similar to the Killa Beez Core Line — primarily black with pops of yellow and clever, custom details.
6061 Black Label Specs
- Frame: 6061-grade double-butted aluminum w/ tapered head tube
- Fork: Full-carbon fiber fork & steer tube by Essor USA
- Dropouts: Aluminum-plated horizontal dropouts
- Wheelset: Black Label mid-profile wheels
- Flip-Flop rear hub: Sealed, low-flange hub — easily ride fixed gear or single speed (w/ addition of freewheel)
- Crank: CNC’d Black Label track crank (170 mm)
- Chainring: 144 BCD
- Gear ratio: 48×16
- Headset: FSA No.42/ACB — integrated and sealed
- Stem: Oversized 31.8mm clamp diameter w/ 90 mm ext.
- Handlebars: Compact drop bar or wide riser bars w/ Wu-Tang grips
- Brakes: Front and rear caliper hand brakes
- Pedals: Includes alloy pedals from Wellgo w/ toe cages
- Seatpost: 27.2 mm
- Saddle: Premium aerodynamic race saddle
- Tires: CST 25c tire set
- Size: 6 frame sizes to fit any rider height from 4’10” to 6’6″
State Bicycle x Wu-Tang Add-Ons, Kit, Availability
As for the fringe, State’s rolled out two styles of Killa Beez-detailed leatherette saddles, a jersey, bibs, a roll-style bar bag, black-and-yellow Wu-Tang stems and stem cap, “W” grips, bar tape, and even some custom Deep V fixed-gear wheels.
And to round it all out, State’s rolled out a whole Wu-Tang kit, which uses majority-recycled REPREVE polyester.
The Wu-Tang x State collection is live as of Feb. 25. Check out the Wu-Tang x SBC collection and get ya some.