REI today announced a new house brand of camping gear intended for “instant gatherings.” It’s called evrgrn.
The new in-house brand has a broad selection of equipment that could most easily be lumped into the car-camping segment.
Products like a camp chair, cooler, sleeping bag with arm holes, and foldable picnic table aren’t intended to fit in a backpack, but they can be used on weekend getaways or nights on your urban rooftop (judging from the company imagery).
The brand doesn’t re-invent the wheel. With the possible exception of the camp rocking chair (want!), many of these products are already available from other brands carried by REI.
But at moderate price points (and likely good quality), the line will appeal to those who aspire to get outside a little more and look at computer screens a little less.
REI’s looking at you, millennials of the urban jungle. And while this new brand may be more marketing than engineering moxie, we expect the products to be well made and reliable.
REI stands behind its gear, too, so no need to worry about defects or poor workmanship.
The 11 products below were announced with the brand.
We’ve yet to see any of them up close, but we are happy to note any effort that will encourage outdoors engagement from a new demographic.
- 24 Pack Backpack Cooler – fits 24 12 oz. cans in waterproof, insulated liner with shoulder straps ($75)
- Crash Sack – sleeping bag you can wear around camp – bottom clips out of the way for walking around, arm holes let you grab what you need, and inside pockets to stash your stuff ($119)
- Downtime Hammock – take it with you to the beach, park or campsite in its carry back with shoulder strap; includes everything you need for setup ($130)
- Starry Night Tent – 90 x 60 in. floor sleeps two with an unobstructed moonroof for stargazing, with aluminum poles and waterproof fly for easy setup ($250)
- Lowboy Lantern – hanging loop opens to attach to your tent or a tree branch, silicon housing and rotating dimmer lets you set the mood so you can keep the good times going long after sunset ($35)
- Picnic Table – foldable bamboo top elevates your outdoor feast and is easy to take to the beach, park or campsite ($70)
- Center Stage Rug – lightly padded, waterproof rug provides enough room for a gathering or for two to take a nap on the beach ($65)
- Grounded Cushion – waterproof, abrasion resistant fabric has five inches of cushion and two hidden drink sleeves ($35)
- Sum Tote – fully lined open top bag with zippered pockets and nylon handles ($25)
- Cluster Table Cloth – 72 x 52.24 in. durable cloth turns a standard picnic table into something more festive ($20)
- Campfire Rocker – collapsible rocking chair with sling seat and stash pockets (no longer available; see GearJunkie preview article)