A recap of top stories for the past week, June 4 – 1 1, 2016.
1) How To: Choose A Cooler For The Outdoors
Choose the best cooler for the job with our buyer’s guide, a break-down of cooler size, type, and quality for the outdoors.
2) Video: ‘How to be a Rock Climber’
Gear advice to nomenclature, this primer video by IFHT and Mountain Equipment Coop was made for anyone interested in becoming a rock climber.
3) All-In-One: Australian ‘Swag’ Tents Hit U.S. Camping Market
Heavy-duty construction, a built-in mattress, and quick setup make ‘swag’-style tents unique. An Australian company is betting the all-in-one design could become popular in the United States.
4) Tested: ‘UltaMid’ Pyramid Among Best Ultralight Shelters
Amazingly light, durable, and useful, a thin sheen of Dyneema Composite Fabrics comprises the entirety of this top-tier pyramid tent. Read on for a full review of the UltaMid 2 by Hyperlite Mountain Gear.
5) Moosejaw Launches ‘Virtual Reality’ Outdoors App
Tired of actual reality? Check out Moosejaw’s new Virtual Reality App, featuring 360 degree Moab, Utah experiences like rock climbing, trail running, and hiking.
6) Jack Wolfskin: Biggest Outdoor Brand You’ve Never Heard Of
Jack Wolfskin, a leading European outdoor brand, is looking to break into the U.S. market. Here’s what to know about the apparel, equipment, and footwear brand.
7) Five Unexpected Essentials For Hiking Big Miles
To hike the entire Pacific Crest Trail, you need only the essentials. The ‘Packing It Out’ trio lists five such essentials they’ve relied on throughout their journey thus far.
8) Copper Mountain Owner Acquires Eldora Resort
The closest ski area to Boulder, Colo., will now fall under the Powdr umbrella of mountains.
9) Monster Waves Delay ‘Cape Fear’ Surf Comp, Injure One
The humongous waves crashing at the Red Bull Cape Fear event were just to scary, and dangerous, putting one competitor in the hospital.
10) Behold The ‘Snot Rocket’
Called it the ‘farmer blow,’ ‘snot rocket’ or other euphemism, this nasty move crosses almost all outdoors and fitness genres. And yeah, it’s gross. Get over it.
11) Ticks & Lyme Disease: Avoid Infection With 16 Facts
Spread by the bite of a deer tick, Lyme disease is preventable and curable. Follow these 16 tips to avoid Lyme disease and the ticks that cause it.
12) Review: 5 Favorite ‘Post-Adventure’ Flip-Flops
It’s hard to choose a best flip-flop for the outdoors, but of the ones I’ve worn, these are 5 top picks.
13) My Old Man: Townes Van Zandt
A poet and Texas songwriting legend, the infamous Townes Van Zandt left a powerful, if not destructive, legacy in his wake. And for his son JT, viewing Townes’ musical fervor encouraged him to find his own passion for the outdoors.
14) Ultralight ‘Shoes’ Roll Up, Fit In Your Pocket
A new ‘shoe’ by startup brand Skinner is among the most minimal footwear we’ve seen.
15) Slide-Out ‘Truck Kitchen’ For Overland Vehicles
A new product gives pull-out convenience for everything you need to cook out of your vehicle, including (literally) the kitchen sink.
16) Meet Jay Arrowsmith-DeCoux, The ‘Trail Running Mayor’
The 33-year-old mayor of an iconic northern Minnesota town runs, bikes, backpacks, hikes, and brings his love of the outdoors with him to city hall.