The titan of farm equipment places more emphasis than ever on in-cabin driver comfort with its latest full-size Signature Edition Gator crossover utility vehicles. They also cost as much as a full-size pickup.
John Deere just announced the Signature Edition XUV835R (four-cycle gas) and XUV635R (four-cycle diesel) Gators, which should arrive at dealerships in April 2022. Both iterations of the crossover all-terrain vehicle come with features that sound several cuts above anything you’ll find in my Subaru — because they are.
Here’s everything you can expect in this small but mighty crossover utility package from John Deere.
Signature Edition Gator Crossover Utility Vehicles
Though limited to off-road use and three adult occupants, the new John Deere Gator crossover UVs have a “stout luxury” sense about them, like a diminutive Jeep Wrangler, but hardier on the outside.
The cabin is where John Deere really souped things up. All-leather seats, a Bluetooth- and Sirius XM-enabled infotainment center, seven-speaker Harmon audio system, touchscreen instruments panel, backup camera, climate control, leather grab handles, and a rear sliding window with access to the Gator’s open bed are all standard.
The price tag — $35,849 for the XUV835R and $37,099 for the XUV865R — might throw some off the utility vehicle scent. But exterior and performance aspects like 4WD, a Bumper Pro brush guard, cargo box with power lift, roof-mounted LED floodlights, and hitch mount remind us that this is a ranch work vehicle made for grating gravel roads and hauling hay bales.
Contact your local John Deere dealer to inquire about preorders. For more information about John Deere and the full line of Gator UV products, visit Deere.com.
XUV835R & XUV865R Gator Specs
- Engine: 4-cycle gas (XUV835R) or 4-cycle diesel (XUV865r); 854 cc
- Engine power: 17 kW, 22.8 hp
- Cargo box dimensions: 45″ x 12″ x 52″
- Cargo box capacity: 1,000 lbs.
- Towing capacity: 2,000 lbs.
- Hitch: 2″ standard receiver
- Front and rear tires: 27×11-R14 Maxxis Bighorn 2.0 extreme terrain radials or 27×11-R14 Predator Heavy-Duty all-terrain radials
- Ground clearance: 11.2″
- Transmission: CVT with clutch enclosure
- Drive: Park, high, low, neutral, reverse transaxle; dash switch-actuated 4WD system
- Front suspension: Dual A-arm with adjustable coils; 8″ of travel
- Rear suspension: Dual A-arm with adjustable coils and sway bar; 9″ of travel
- Brakes: Front/rear hydraulic disc with twin-piston front calipers